Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Bird In The Cat

This title amuses me because there is a bird in the poem - although not a "major player" - but a cat is nowhere to be found. The title line was the first thing that came to me - and as I wrote I realized there would be no cat and just a bit player bird! Amazing where the mind goes.

Start the day as a grain of food matter
I wondered what matter I was
A grub came along and inside of a minute
I was inside his soft jaws

There I became a bit of a snack
But as I began to digest
Along came a mouse, a little, gray ball
And quickly I fed a new pest

Here I did languish for just a brief spell
For out of the blue we were hit
Me and the grub and that well fed gray mouse
Were taken aloft in a whit

The old jay was struggling returning to base
And we were all three just agog
Suddenly falling back to soft ground
We landed right next to a frog

Suprised by our coming, he leaped to the pond
And disappeared in the drink

But that skunk who'd been stalking him
Didn't blink twice and down the hatch we did sink.
©
25-Jul-06

No comments:

Post a Comment