Friday, September 18, 2009

My Son, The Marine

A friend of mine sent an FW with photos of Marines in Iraq. Manning a fire station in a rain storm. Asleep in foxholes dug between to rows of convoy vehicles. On patrol as a sand storm rages. My son, Daniel is currently serving in Baghdad, the lion’s den . Hence …

That’s him, I think, my son so dear
Though I can’t see his face with all his gear
I know it’s him by the way he stands
I know it’s him by his strong, gloved hands

The way he moves, his purposed gait
Wherever he is, the hour is late
I long to hold him just as I did
When, so long ago, he was just a kid

To tell him I love him and to see him smile
To tell him I love him and all the while
To protect him and clothe him and eat all his greens
To tuck him to bed and fold his blue jeans

That’s him that I see asleep in the sand
Where today is yesterday for him and his band
The pride of this country, our finest, our best
Our young men and women being put to the test

Oh Lord, please protect them, each one of them loved
By those of us here, by you up above
And allow my prayer heard, this moment, this hour
That’s him, I’m sure of, my son, life’s flower ©

No comments:

Post a Comment