Sunday, September 13, 2009

An Ice Cream Story

This morning I asked Peter if he had a nice weekend. He told me that his wife and son had gone to Chicago and he and his little girl had spent the weekend together - they'd gone out for dinner and ....

Sitting alone, enjoying my treat
Watching the folks walk down the street
Some hand-in-hand, some further apart
Some distant, some close, connected at heart

I mused as I watched them come near me and pass
Their stories imagined. A young man with sass
Accompanied by a yet girl in high heels
Walking uneasily, fighting a reel

The elderly couple, ambling along,
Dressed finely in old clothes, humming a song
Perhaps to help relive a time in their past
A time when cavorting seemed ever to last

And then as I watched this parade of us all
I saw at the corner a sight to enthrall
A dad and a daughter were making their way
Towards the place I was sitting – an end to their day

She must have been three or four at the most
She smiled as she looked up to her hand holding host
Her daddy looked down at his precious, his love
And I knew his heart cherished his gift from above

They came and they sat, she stood and she twirled
Just showing off, in love with the world
And as I sat back and observed this life scene
Savoring flavors of vanilla and bean

It occurred to me how this memory may part
From her young mind but not from her heart
Too young to remember the details of this
But able to know the sense of her bliss

Her daddy and she were out on the town
The two of them, special and heading on down
For ice cream and time to share, special and dear
For daughter and daddy, the both of them here

Our forming of bonds, our self love to know
Is cast out of these times, these love times we sow
To stand us in good stead all through our days
Of happiness, sadness, joy or malaise

How light was my heart as they finished and left
My ice cream now long gone, a drip in my cleft
And as the eve deepened and light dropped away
They’d shown me His goodness at the end of this day. ©

1 comment:

  1. Bravo. By the way, there is a spot of vanilla and bean on your shirt as well.

    ReplyDelete