Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Buy 1, Get 1 Free - A Geriatric Rap

Saw my mom the other day. She told me she'd been to Jerry's Foods in Edina. It was "Buy 1, Get 1 Free" day and she excitedly told me of all the things she'd found. The tempo of the line resonated with me - and it wrote itself.

Buy one, get one free
The grocery store mantra of the elderly
Two loaves of bread, cream cheese too
Just a pound of bacon? Oh, that won’t do

Shufflin’ along, filling my cart
The deals the deal, I’m feeling smart
Box of rice, grab some sauce
Making it two, just because

Today’s the day. Ooh, this looks great!
Sliced bananas will be good on my plate
Meat department’s around the bend
What’ll it be? What’ll I spend?

Don’t much matter, I’ll give it away
Score some points with the kids today.
'Cause I’m gonna buy one, get one free
The grocery store mantra of the elderly.©

1 comment:

  1. That is great! I was truly smiling the whole way through it! It's funny....because it's true!

    ReplyDelete