Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Book of Prayers - Part Two .........................copyrighted

Here is Part Two.  My heart breaks each time I read this and remember the pain - and gratitude - of writing it.

O Lord, I'm so humbled, so small and so weak
I read these intentions, they cause me to seek
Your healing and counsel for others, not me
My selfishness fades with each one I see:
       My aunt who lies dying with no love of you.
       Please guide her and bring her to your life anew.
  
       A young boy in trouble at home and at school
       Please give him a father to show him the tools
       Of manhood and meaning, obedience and care
       For self and for others - a cross he can bear.

       A man in depression pleads for his life
       To return to the days when he had a wife

       A woman I know, in trouble she cried
       Please God, I beg you, take this child inside.

Oh Lord, were it not for your personal pain
The cruelness upon you, for which you once came
This book would ring hollow, just wishes in ink
But because you too suffered, we feel a strong link
        A prayer of thanksgiving, a prayer of delight
        And one just in praise of things going right

        A plea for an answer, beseeching a sign
        A thanks be to you for love that's divine

We're able to come, to kneel and to know
By pouring our hearts out our backs will unbow
The comfort that comes from our faith in you
Gives comfort in moments of sadness and blue.

While making a place to share and give thanks
Which you did also with those in your ranks
The lows and the highs of life on this earth
We share with you gladly, our calling from birth

I thank you, dear Lord, for guiding me so
For setting that book out, for wanting to go
So deep within me and help me dig out
To let me find out what life is about.


No comments:

Post a Comment